On July 7, 1957, F.B.C. of Orange Park began the Collins Road Mission. The Mission met at the Community Club Building on Collins Road with eighteen people present at the meeting. After the first eight months in which only Sunday School was held, the Rev. George M. Mims came from First Baptist Church and began preaching at the Mission while his church had Sunday School.
The sponsoring church purchased two acres of land just south of NAS JAX on Hwy. 17 for $16,000. The land was part of the Island View plot as recorded in the public records of Duval County; hence this is how we got the name Island View.
The church changed its name again to Island View Chapel and had eighty members. The congregation called its first official pastor (part-time) Rev. R.J. Johnson in July of 1958.
The church was chartered on January 10, 1960 and plans to build a worship center and education facility soon followed. On January 29, 1961 the church called its second pastor, Rev. Grady H. Williams (full-time) and he served for more than 25 years. During this time the church was incorporated (1966).
On March 5, 1967 plans for Interstate 295 were designed to run straight through the church property. Because of this, the church had to relocate to the location we are at today.
Under the direction of Rev. Williams, Island View prospered and began many new ministries (some still exist today). After the resignation of Rev. Grady H. Williams, the Rev. James F. Hoffman became IVBC's third pastor in October of 1986.
During this time the church made plans for a three-phase renovation for the sanctuary, but God had bigger plans. On September 29, 1991, sparked by lightning, a fire raged through the church 30 minutes before the Sunday services were to begin and the Sanctuary burned to the ground.
God remained faithful and the church began a fundraising campaign in 1992, Together We Build, and by September 26, 1993, was in a brand new Sanctuary to worship the True and Living Savior.
Our church has had a wonderful and exciting ministry to our community and we look forward to many more years of service to Orange Park, Clay County, and the great city of Jacksonville.
Reverend George M. Mims
Reverend R. J. Johnson